In addition to our role providing direct client services and performing scholarly research, WHP is a leading center for advocacy and health policy. In this way, the model of care developed at WHP can have a healing impact that extends far beyond the walls of our clinic.
Our advocacy and health policy focuses on a number of key areas. These areas include:
- Working closely with Federal agencies to affect changes in health policy
- Convening groups of experts to coordinate a national response to trauma
- Partnering with prominent national advocacy organizations, especially those led by and for women living with HIV and/or those focused on trauma
- Advocating for trauma to be effectively addressed by large institutions, foundations and governmental agencies
- Lectures and speeches to a variety of audiences including students, researchers, trauma experts and clinicians
- Disseminating our research and innovations through scholarly publications, lectures and in the press